DJI has introduced a new drone controller that eliminates the need to use a smartphone or tablet. The new Smart Controller has a large 5.5-inch screen integrated directly into the controller. A live view of what the drone sees is displayed on the screen in Full HD resolution.
Until now, DJI drones could only be controlled with a controller, in which the own smartphone/tablet is mounted as a screen or directly via the smartphone.
The advantages of not being connected to the smartphone: The controller has a particularly bright display that has been optimized for use in direct sunlight. With 1000 cd/m2 it is twice as bright as the display of the current smartphones and resembles the popular DJI Crystalsky monitor. In addition, the battery of your own smartphone is conserved and the controller still works at sub-zero temperatures, when smartphones often switch themself off.
Unfortunately the new controller only works with the newest DJI models Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom as well as the Mavic 2 Enterprise, since it is based on the OcuSync 2.0 video transmission technology, which automatically switches between frequencies to avoid interference.
The controller runs the operating system Android and the DJO Go 4 App is pre-installed. But you can install more apps, for example for editing photos. There’s also a new feature called DJI Go Share to make it easier to transfer photos to your smartphone.
The DJI Smart Controller costs $649 USD and will soon be available in the DJI Online Store and also at Amazon. In addition, a bundle with the Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom will also be available in the future.
Most important features:
- 5.5-inch HD screen with high brightness
- Screen brightness: 1000 cd/m2
- FullHD image transmission
- 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz radio transmission
- Range of up to 8 kilometers / 4.97 miles
- 5000 mAh (7.2 V) battery with a runtime of about 2.5 hours
- Operating range of -4°F up to 104°F
- Android operating system with the possibility to install additional apps
- WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity
- HDMI output with 4K video output
- microSD card slot and USB-A connector
- USB type C connector
- retail price of $649 USD